Monday, December 14, 2009

Pom Tree

Word spread fast of my moonlight craft sessions and 1/2 of my favorite couple, Matthew Shorts, asked me to make a holiday pom table centerpiece for him and Andres. At first, I thought I could make some clever candle holders, but when I remembered that women with candles have replaced women with cats as the new "sad thing," I decided on a miniature pom tree instead. (Disclaimer: Burning one Volcano candle at all times, does NOT a candle person make)

I began with a styrofoam cone from the craft store. I made sure to line the base of it with some felt. Next, from the base of the tree to about a 3/4 to the top I used medium sized poms.



Then, I finished the top off with some teeny tiny balls, which are a lot more difficult to manage than their larger brothers, go figure.

On a side note: I went to Whole Foods, which is conveniently nearby the craft store, and picked up some flowers. These little blossoms reminded me of green pom poms. Quite dandy.


Back to the project, so I assumed, at first, that I would top off the tree with one big ball. I tried it out...

but it felt way too clowny.

Instead, I decided to make a free-form star out of cardboard and dream-catcher weave it up with some shiny white yarn. I finished it off with some vintage buttons and random cameos as ornaments. This tree turned out so precious that I'm making a larger one for little ol' me.


No comments: