Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Over The Looking Glass

After watching the new trailer for Tim Burton's adaptation of Alice in Wonderland, I fear that I may feel a wonder of malice towards this apparent sequel to the whimsical fairy tale that played such an integral role in my childhood. I wish that the movie makers of today would go back to the basics of a storybook, where the visual accompaniments, although they may be few, are detailed, thoughtful and serve as magical lamp-posts highlighting the bulk of the book (that being the story itself). This is by far one of my favorite representations of Lewis Carroll's classic tale, another being Harry Harris' version, no animation, simple puppetry, thoughtful costumes and no 3d glasses required. As Carol Channing so charmingly put it, "Bread and Butter!"

No comments: